“Coalitions help to create change when everyone around the table begins to own the problem and sees themselves as part of the solution.”
Basic health care is critical for all children to develop into healthy adults. The Children’s Coalition works to ensure that all children have health insurance and access to preventive care and that parents have the information necessary to keep their children healthy and safe.
The health care initiatives include:
- Covering Kids and Families–The Children’s Coalition serves as the Covering Kids and Families Coalition for the region, providing outreach and information about the LaCHIP and LaMOMs program.
- Child Safety–Working with the Louisiana Office of Public Health, the Children’s Coalition provides information and training about child safety issues including safe sleep, car seat safety, as well as training for child care providers in health and safety standards.
- Asthma Education–Working with community partners, asthma education is provided in all areas of the region. Basic resources and information is provided to families, schools and child care providers.
- Fetal Infant Mortality Reduction–Focusing on the very high incidence of fetal and infant death, registered nurses work with medical professionals to track trends and work in the community to provide education and resources to help reverse this negative trend.
- Childhood Obesity–In the fall, the Children’s Coalition organizes the Fall Fit Fest to educate families about childhood obesity and need for exercise and good nutrition.